Monday, March 4, 2013

Cakes in Baby Food Jars


I know I kind of started with the crafts blog and then slipped into a coma J but I am hoping to revive it once more. So last month, valentine’s day was all the rage and since my daughter is in school now and has a valentine’s day party, I thought I might make something special for her to give her classmates. I recently joined Pinterest, and boy do they have ideas on there!!! So I found this cute idea on a few blogs for cakes made in baby food jars. Apparently, cakes in jars (of all shapes and sizes) are the in-thing right now. I didn’t even know you could stick baby food jars and mason jars into ovens!!! Anyway, these ideas to make cakes in baby food jars were mainly for baby showers, but it can really be used for any occasion. So this is what I did….



1.       Get your hands on some baby food jars.





2.       Remove as much as you can of the label with your hands.


3.       Then stick them in the dishwasher and let it run.
4.       Remove what little is left of the glue (if any) of the label with a little olive oil on a paper towel.
5.       Wash the bottles once more so the olive oil doesn’t stay and make it slippery.
6.       Next, mix your cake batter as you normally would – whether from scratch or from a box doesn’t really matter.
7.       Then add your favourite food colouring to the mix. I added red this time since they were for Valentine’s Day. You can even separate your batter into three or four bowls and mix different colours into each and layer the cake to make it colorful.
8.       Pour out your batter into the bottles, filling the bottles up to just less than halfway. I poured a little more than half, and the cake puffed up and outside the bottle as well.
9.       Stick the bottles into a cupcake pan, or line them up on a cookie sheet.
10.   Cook the cakes as you usually do, and voila! Your cute little cakes in jars are ready.





I have heard that these can be sealed by boiling the lids in water and screwing them on when hot, but I didn’t try to seal mine. I added some ribbons on the bottle to make them look more festive and appealing, and even accessorized the kids’ bottles with a spoon that they could use to eat the cake. Needless to say, they were a huge hit!








2 comments:

  1. Sheena, a simple idea so great and I know you think the way we don't. You are special. Your caring ways make people bloom with smiles and make the place better and happier. no wonder it was a hit.keep going. God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Appreciate your creativity. Good idea Timothy Jayakumar

    ReplyDelete